CRYC Life Jacket Requirements
Who, When, Where
- All community sailors must wear life jackets while sailing, no exceptions.
- Sailors or racers, under the age of 12, must wear a life jacket, not only when sailing, but when close to the water. Close to the water is within 6 feet.
- Boat owners are encouraged to wear life jackets while sailing but are not required to wear them.
- Racers including boat owners must wear life jackets when the Y flag is flying. The Y flag has yellow and red diagonal flags. The race committee will order this flag flown when it sees fit based on conditions.
- Owners of small boats (under 16 feet) must have a life jacket on board.
- All kayakers, using club boats, must wear life jackets while on the water.
- Student life jackets must be Coast Guard approved, fit properly, and be zipped while the student is in or near the water.
- Stewards, staff, and members are required to wear life jackets in powerboats. There must also be at least two throw-able floatation devices on the powerboat.
- All boats over 16 feet whether privately owned or club owned must have a life jacket on board for each person and one throw-able.